Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring Already?!

Wow! Is Spring here already?!?!

It seems like just last week I was wearing my huge winter jacket out! But the sun is here and I'm excited for some warm weather!

Today is the last day of Spring Break and the weather is perfect! Its the perfect day for a bike ride or any outside activities. This week has been filled with sun-bathing, crafting, and mountain climbing. All of which were exhilarating! I started off my break with lots of crafting! I made several sets of coasters, some out of felt and some out of "melty beads" (which you melt on a plastic mold with an iron). They turned out great, if I do say so myself. I covered the bottom of them with felt so that moisture won't seep through and get on tables, because then what would be the point of the coaster anyways?!? The all felt coasters I cut out from brightly colored pieces and hot-glued them together so that they look like slices of fruit! They are very summery and cheery! :)

My next project involved ripping up a bunch of old de-commissioned t-shirts to made some upcycled scarves! I did so by twisting some blues, reds, and grays together. They look ok--I think I will try to do some different colors next time, even though some of my favorite t-shirts are cool colors. We will see. Anyways, made 2 of those and they're pretty versatile. No glue, no mess, just t-shirts wrapped together.

Then I wanted to make a candy/cookie holder for my res hall at school. So I took an old fish bowl, washed out of course, and a terra cotta garden pot & saucer. I painted them and then stacked them on top of one another so that it looks like an old fashioned gum-ball machine! I like the way it turned out and it'll be fun to put stuff in it at school. I then found another pot and saucer, glued them together, painted it and it could be a small food stand of some sort or a dresser stand. Anyways the creative juices were flowing and I just went along with it.

I love the look of crayon art, so I bought a huge pack of crayons for cheap and went to work. On 3 different canvases I melted some crayons. One with reds, pinks, oranges, One with blues, purples, grays, and the other with greens & browns. The green and brown one (with some accent colors) turned into a crayon garden when I glued some crocheted flowers on to the canvas! They look awesome!

Did lots of reading this week too--3 books! Sat outside and got a good burn (I'm getting a base for the summer :P) Then went to a park nearby and climbed a mountain, seriously hard work. It was awesome climbing the rocks and looking over the towns in the valleys and such. The waterfalls are gorgeous there too!

So other than hanging out with lots of friends and watching lots of awesome movies that was my Spring Break! No week at the beach partying it up, but it was fun anyways! Somewhat relaxing, but its back to school to finish up the semester!

Happy St. Patricks Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment