Monday, October 10, 2011

Carpe Diem

I woke up this morning to my alarm obnoxiously beeping in my ear. As I rolled over to shut it off the typical Monday morning debate commenced inside my head. My brain attempted to convince me to ignore the fact that I had class in 20 minutes and to go back to sleep. So began another day in the life of a student.

Today is an experience day for visiting perspective students. It is strangely warm for an October day. The sky is perfectly blue without a cloud or contrail in it. The grass is green and soft on the Quad. I look out my window and see our nation's flag waving proudly. Students are walking to and fro on the sidewalks and through grass. I see people laying out their blankets and opening their laptops to study in the glorious sun. Someone is singing terribly out the window a couple floors down from me. And then there is a grounds worker cutting the grass. It seems as though they are always cutting the grass! I mean I know grass grows depending on the amount of rain we've had. And of course they have to keep it looking nice for visitors, but how many times does the grass really need to be cut?!

But as I look out my window and see students who don't have class wander around and go about there day, I am struck by the mundane routines we establish for ourselves. What excitement will be left to share if we never seize the day?

So here's the thing. I have a midterm tomorrow and two papers due Wednesday. But this day is too beautiful to waste on studying inside. Yes, I could study outside, but that would be self-defeating. I am going to take a study break and go frolic through the woods or jump in the pond! Who's with me? Seize this day! Because it will never come back. Once time is gone, it is gone. Do something spontaneous: go hug a stranger! go on an adventure! get your adrenaline pumping!

Don't get caught up in the boring routine of life. Life is for living! Seize this day! Live your life.
Down.
Set.
Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment