Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Journey to the Past

Yesterday at 12:30 began my fall break for school. I packed up some things and drove home yesterday. It was a gorgeous drive home getting a glimpse at newly changing trees. Fall is just beginning and the bright yellows, oranges, and reds were brilliant against the cold cloudy sky. It was fantastic to drive past towering rock faces as it began to rain. The rest of the drive home was rainy, but full of adventure as I took an extremely hilly road home. But it is nice to be back.

I came in the house last night to the familiar homey smells. And of course my mom was baking a scrumptious strawberry jam bread that made the whole house smell wonderful. But I hardly had a moment to fully process it as my dog sprang from her perch and bounded towards me tail-wagging and tongue ready to lick me into oblivion. It was a perfect welcome as I was simultaneously (lovingly) attacked by my dog and hugged by my mom. The rest of the night was spent relaying stories from school to my parents. It felt so good to just sit down to hangout with my dad!

Today I woke up late and went apple picking with my mom and my sister! It was a fun car ride as we weaved through the countryside laughing hysterically at silly things we said. Came back home to run some errands with my sister. Then I started a new knitting project (more like an experiment that will probably not turn into much) based on something I saw a girl knit at school. It could potentially be a sock or a leg warmer. We'll see. :) Made tuna melts tonight for dinner--YUM. Just watched My Best Friend's Girl with my sister. Gotta love Dane Cook! :)

I can hardly believe another day is over. It has been pouring rain and thundering for the last couple hours. Lightning has lit up my room as I type here in the dark. It is definitely October. Even though the weather wars with itself outside it is so warm and cozy in my room. I look around my room, at the walls, at my desk, at my closet. So many things on the wall reflect how I viewed life three or four years ago. It is definitely time for a change. My life has progressed since high school and my walls should reflect that. I still have a couple days left of break and though it will go quickly I want to spend some time making things to re-decorate my room. I have so many ideas that cannot become anything at school because I have no space to work or any resources to work with. My creations at school are limited. Here, at home, I can do anything.

It feels good to be home, even for a little while. Though I see ghosts of the past around me, it is time to transition into the future. I am excited to make new things. I am excited to spend time with my family. I am excited to see old friends, to reconnect, and to build upon what relationships we already have. This is a great time of the year: a time of transition. The holidays are coming. It is a good time to be thinking about family and friends. Sometimes a journey to the past can be a transition to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment